Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
The Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (e-CFR) is a regularly updated, unofficial editorial compilation of CFR material and Federal Register amendments produced by the National Archives and Records Administration's Office of the Federal Register (OFR) and the Government Publishing Office.
Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules for the Code of Federal Regulations and the United States Code
Text | PDF
Find, review, and submit comments on Federal rules that are open for comment and published in the Federal Register using Regulations.gov.
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
As used in this subpart, unless the context indicates otherwise:
Direct services means services provided by the clinic's staff.
FQHC means an entity as defined in §405.2401(b).
Nurse practitioner means a registered professional nurse who is currently licensed to practice in the State, who meets the State's requirements governing the qualifications of nurse practitioners, and who meets one of the following conditions:
(1) Is currently certified as a primary care nurse practitioner by the American Nurses' Association or by the National Board of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners and Associates; or
(2) Has satisfactorily completed a formal 1 academic year educational program that:
(i) Prepares registered nurses to perform an expanded role in the delivery of primary care;
(ii) Includes at least 4 months (in the aggregate) of classroom instruction and a component of supervised clinical practice; and
(iii) Awards a degree, diploma, or certificate to persons who successfully complete the program; or
(3) Has successfully completed a formal educational program (for preparing registered nurses to perform an expanded role in the delivery of primary care) that does not meet the requirements of paragraph (2) of this definition, and has been performing an expanded role in the delivery of primary care for a total of 12 months during the 18-month period immediately preceding the effective date of this subpart.
Physician means the following:
(1) As it pertains to the supervision, collaboration, and oversight requirements in sections 1861(aa)(2)(B) and (aa)(3) of the Act, a doctor of medicine or osteopathy legally authorized to practice medicine or surgery in the State in which the function is performed; and
(2) Within limitations as to the specific services furnished, a doctor of dental surgery or of dental medicine, a doctor of optometry, a doctor of podiatry or surgical chiropody or a chiropractor (see section 1861(r) of the Act for specific limitations).
Physician assistant means a person who meets the applicable State requirements governing the qualifications for assistants to primary care physicians, and who meets at least one of the following conditions:
(1) Is currently certified by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants to assist primary care physicians; or
(2) Has satisfactorily completed a program for preparing physician's assistants that:
(i) Was at least 1 academic year in length;
(ii) Consisted of supervised clinical practice and at least 4 months (in the aggregate) of classroom instruction directed toward preparing students to deliver health care; and
(iii) Was accredited by the American Medical Association's Committee on Allied Health Education and Accreditation; or
(3) Has satisfactorily completed a formal educational program (for preparing physician assistants) that does not meet the requirements of paragraph (2) of this definition and assisted primary care physicians for a total of 12 months during the 18-month period that ended on December 31, 1986.
Rural area means an area that is not delineated as an urbanized area by the Bureau of the Census.
Rural health clinic or clinic means a clinic that is located in a rural area designated as a shortage area, is not a rehabilitation agency or a facility primarily for the care and treatment of mental diseases, and meets all other requirements of this subpart.
Shortage area means a defined geographic area designated by the Department as having either a shortage of personal health services (under section 1302(7) of the Public Health Service Act) or a shortage of primary medical care manpower (under section 332 of that Act).
Secretary means the Secretary of Health and Human Services, or any official to whom he has delegated the pertinent authority.
[71 FR 55345, Sept. 22, 2006, as amended at 79 FR 27156, May 12, 2014]