The Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) annual edition is the codification of the general and permanent rules published in the Federal Register by the departments and agencies of the Federal Government produced by the Office of the Federal Register (OFR) and the Government Publishing Office.
Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules for the Code of Federal Regulations and the United States Code
Text | PDF
Find, review, and submit comments on Federal rules that are open for comment and published in the Federal Register using Regulations.gov.
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
§431.220 When a hearing is required.
(a) The State agency must grant an opportunity for a hearing to the following:
(1) Any applicant who requests it because his claim for services is denied or is not acted upon with reasonable promptness.
(2) Any beneficiary who requests it because he or she believes the agency has taken an action erroneously.
(3) Any resident who requests it because he or she believes a skilled nursing facility or nursing facility has erroneously determined that he or she must be transferred or discharged.
(4) Any individual who requests it because he or she believes the State has made an erroneous determination with regard to the preadmission and annual resident review requirements of section 1919(e)(7) of the Act.
(5) Any MCO or PIHP enrollee who is entitled to a hearing under subpart F of part 438 of this chapter.
(6) Any PAHP enrollee who has an action as stated in this subpart.
(7) Any enrollee who is entitled to a hearing under subpart B of part 438 of this chapter.
(b) The agency need not grant a hearing if the sole issue is a Federal or State law requiring an automatic change adversely affecting some or all beneficiaries.
[44 FR 17932, Mar. 29, 1979, as amended at 57 FR 56505, Nov. 30, 1992; 67 FR 41095, June 14, 2002; 67 FR 65505, Oct. 25, 2002]