The Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) annual edition is the codification of the general and permanent rules published in the Federal Register by the departments and agencies of the Federal Government produced by the Office of the Federal Register (OFR) and the Government Publishing Office.
Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules for the Code of Federal Regulations and the United States Code
Text | PDF
Find, review, and submit comments on Federal rules that are open for comment and published in the Federal Register using Regulations.gov.
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
§409.68 Guarantee of payment for inpatient hospital or inpatient CAH services furnished before notification of exhaustion of benefits.
(a) Conditions for payment. Payment may be made for inpatient hospital or inpatient CAH services furnished a beneficiary after he or she has exhausted the available benefit days if the following conditions are met:
(1) The services were furnished before CMS or the intermediary notified the hospital or CAH that the beneficiary had exhausted the available benefit days and was not entitled to have payment made for those services.
(2) At the time the hospital or CAH furnished the services, it was unaware that the beneficiary had exhausted the available benefit days and could reasonably have assumed that he or she was entitled to have payment made for these services.
(3) Payment would be precluded solely because the beneficiary has no benefit days available for the particular hospital or CAH stay.
(4) The hospital or CAH claims reimbursement for the services and refunds any payments made for those services by the beneficiary or by another person on his or her behalf.
(b) Limitations on payment. (1) If all of the conditions in paragraph (a) of this section are met, Medicare payment may be made for the day of admission, and up to 6 weekdays thereafter, plus any intervening Saturdays, Sundays, and Federal holidays.
(2) Payment may not be made under this section for any day after the hospital or CAH is notified that the beneficiary has exhausted the available benefit days.
(c) Recovery from the beneficiary. Any payment made to a hospital or CAH under this section is considered an overpayment to the beneficiary and may be recovered from him or her under the provisions set forth elsewhere in this chapter.
[48 FR 12541, Mar. 25, 1983, as amended at 50 FR 33033, Aug. 16, 1985; 58 FR 30666, May 26, 1993]