Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
Text | PDF
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
Title 40: Protection of Environment
§260.42 Notification requirement for hazardous secondary materials.
(a) Hazardous secondary material generators, tolling contractors, toll manufacturers, reclaimers, and intermediate facilities managing hazardous secondary materials which are excluded from regulation under §261.2(a)(2)(ii), §261.4(a)(23), (24), or (25) must send a notification prior to operating under the exclusion(s) and by March 1 of each even numbered year thereafter to the Regional Administrator using EPA Form 8700-12 that includes the following information:
(1) The name, address, and EPA ID number (if applicable) of the facility;
(2) The name and telephone number of a contact person;
(3) The NAICS code of the facility;
(4) The exclusion under which the hazardous secondary materials will be managed (e.g., §261.2(a)(2)(ii), §261.4(a)(23), (24), and/or (25));
(5) For reclaimers and intermediate facilities managing hazardous secondary materials in accordance with §261.4(a)(24) or (25), whether the reclaimer or intermediate facility has financial assurance (not applicable for persons managing hazardous secondary materials generated and reclaimed under the control of the generator);
(6) When the facility expects to begin managing the hazardous secondary materials in accordance with the exclusion;
(7) A list of hazardous secondary materials that will be managed according to the exclusion (reported as the EPA hazardous waste numbers that would apply if the hazardous secondary materials were managed as hazardous wastes);
(8) For each hazardous secondary material, whether the hazardous secondary material, or any portion thereof, will be managed in a land-based unit;
(9) The quantity of each hazardous secondary material to be managed annually; and
(10) The certification (included in EPA Form 8700-12) signed and dated by an authorized representative of the facility.
(b) If a hazardous secondary material generator, tolling contractor, toll manufacturer, reclaimer or intermediate facility has submitted a notification, but then subsequently stops managing hazardous secondary materials in accordance with the exclusion(s), the facility must notify the Regional Administrator within thirty (30) days using EPA Form 8700-12. For purposes of this section, a facility has stopped managing hazardous secondary materials if the facility no longer generates, manages and/or reclaims hazardous secondary materials under the exclusion(s) and does not expect to manage any amount of hazardous secondary materials for at least one year.
[73 FR 64759, Oct. 30, 2008]