Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
Text | PDF
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
§36.4519 Eligible purposes and reasonable value requirements.
(a) A loan may be made only for the purpose hereinafter set forth in this paragraph, and the loan may not exceed the reasonable value of the property as established by the Department of Veterans Affairs:
(1) To purchase or construct a dwelling to be owned and occupied by the veteran as a home;
(2) To purchase a farm on which there is a farm residence to be occupied by the veteran as a home;
(3) To construct on land owned by the veteran a farm residence to be occupied by the veteran as a home;
(4) To repair, alter, or improve a farm residence or other dwelling owned and occupied or to be reoccupied after the completion of major alterations, repairs, or improvements to the property, by the veteran as his or her home;
(5) To make energy conservation improvements to a dwelling owned and occupied or to be occupied after the completion of major alterations, repairs, or improvements to the property, by the veteran as his or her home;
(6) To refinance (38 U.S.C. 3710(a)(5)) existing mortgage loans or other lines which are secured of record on a dwelling or farm residence owned and occupied or to be reoccupied after the completion of major alterations, repairs or improvements to the property, by the veteran as the veteran's home;
Provided, The veteran certifies, in such form as the Secretary may prescribe, that he or she has paid in cash from his or her own resources on account of such purchase, construction, alteration, repair, or improvement a sum equal to the difference, if any, between the purchase price or cost of the property and its reasonable value.
(b) In the case of a loan for the construction of a farm residence or other dwelling on land owned by the veteran, a portion of the loan proceeds may be expended to liquidate an indebtedness secured by a lien against such land, but only if the reasonable value of the land is equal to or in excess of the amount of the indebtedness secured by such lien and if the liquidation of such indebtedness will permit the loan to be secured by a first lien. Except as provided in §36.4507, no portion of the proceeds of a loan for repairs, alterations or improvements to a farm residence or other dwelling may be expended to liquidate a prior lien against the property.
(c) No direct loan may be made for the purpose of an interest rate reduction refinancing loan pursuant to 38 U.S.C. 3710(a)(8).
(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 3711(b))
[20 FR 6261, Aug. 26, 1955, as amended at 43 FR 60461, Dec. 28, 1978; 46 FR 43675, Aug. 31, 1981; 49 FR 42571, Oct. 23, 1984]