Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
The Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (e-CFR) is a regularly updated, unofficial editorial compilation of CFR material and Federal Register amendments produced by the National Archives and Records Administration's Office of the Federal Register (OFR) and the Government Publishing Office.
Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules for the Code of Federal Regulations and the United States Code
Text | PDF
Find, review, and submit comments on Federal rules that are open for comment and published in the Federal Register using Regulations.gov.
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
Title 38: Pensions, Bonuses, and Veterans' Relief
§36.4276 Advances and other charges.
(a) A holder may advance any reasonable amount necessary and proper for the maintenance or repair of the security, or for the payment of accrued taxes, special assessments or other charges which constitute prior liens, or premiums on fire or other hazard insurance against loss of or damage to such property and any such advance so made may be added to the guaranteed indebtedness. A holder may also advance the one-half of one percent funding fee due on a transfer under 38 U.S.C. 3714 when this is not paid at the time of transfer. All security instruments for loans to which 38 U.S.C. 3714 applies must include a clause authorizing an advance for this purpose if it is not paid at the time of transfer.
(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 3714)
(b) In addition to advances allowable under paragraph (a) of this section, the holder may charge against the proceeds of the sale of the security; against gross amounts collected; or, in the computation of a claim under the guaranty, if lawfully authorized by the loan agreement and subject to §36.4284, any of the following items actually paid:
(1) Any expense which is reasonably necessary for preservation of the security,
(2) Court costs in a foreclosure or other proper judicial proceeding involving the security,
(3) Other expenses reasonably necessary for collecting the debt, or repossession or liquidation of the security, including a reasonable sales commission to the dealer or sales broker for resale of the security,
(4) Reasonable trustee's fees or commissions paid incident to the sale of real property,
(5) Reasonable amount for legal services actually performed not to exceed 10 percent of the unpaid indebtedness as of the date of the first uncured default, or $850 whichever is less. In no event may the combined total of the amounts claimed for trustee's fees and legal services (paragraphs (b)(4) and (5) of this section) exceed $850.
(6) The cost of a credit report(s) on the debtor(s), which is (are) to be forwarded to the Secretary in connection with the claim,
(7) Reasonable and customary costs of property inspections,
(8) Any other expense or fee that is approved in advance by the Secretary.
(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 3720(g))
(c) In claims filed under §36.4283(f)(4) of this part, the following costs and expenditures actually incurred and paid may be included in the computation of the indebtedness:
(1) Property preservation or repair costs incurred prior to the date of the liquidation appraisal, to the extent that they contributed to the minimum selling price of the property as determined by the Secretary, and subject to the limitation that they do not exceed the actual cost incurred by the holder, and,
(2) Costs of loan termination, including, but not limited to:
(i) The reasonable and customary expense of transporting the home to the site where it will be repaired and/or resold;
(ii) The cost of the liquidation appraisal;
(iii) A reasonable amount for legal services actually performed and trustee fees, not to exceed a total of $700;
(iv) Court costs in a foreclosure or other judicial proceeding involving the security;
(v) Any other expenses reasonably necessary for repossession of the security or other termination of the loan; and,
(vi) Any other expense or fee that is approved in advance by the Secretary.
[36 FR 1253, Jan. 27, 1971, as amended at 45 FR 38056, June 6, 1980; 53 FR 27049, July 18, 1988; 53 FR 34295, Sept. 6, 1988; 55 FR 37474, Sept. 12, 1990; 58 FR 29114, May 19, 1993; 58 FR 37860, July 14, 1993; 59 FR 48565, Sept. 22, 1994]