Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
The Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (e-CFR) is a regularly updated, unofficial editorial compilation of CFR material and Federal Register amendments produced by the National Archives and Records Administration's Office of the Federal Register (OFR) and the Government Printing Office.
Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules for the Code of Federal Regulations and the United States Code
Text | PDF
Find, review, and submit comments on Federal rules that are open for comment and published in the Federal Register using Regulations.gov.
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
§262.2 Purchase of information in furtherance of investigations.
(a) Approval of payments. Payments for purchase of information to further investigations of felonies and misdemeanors related to Forest Service administration are authorized for each transaction as follows:
(1) Criminal investigators in the GS-1811 series and such other personnel as the Chief of the Forest Service or a Regional Forester may designate, may, without prior approval, pay up to but not exceeding $200 for the purchase of information under this section.
(2) For payments of amounts over $200 but not exceeding $500, advance approval of the Forest Supervisor is required.
(3) For payments of amounts over $500 but not exceeding $2,500, advance approval of the Regional Forester is required.
(4) For payments of amounts over $2,500, advance approval of the Chief of the Forest Service is required.
(5) For purchase of information to further investigations within a Regional Office, Forest and Range Experiment Station, State and Private Forestry Area Office, or the National Office, payments in excess of $200 must be approved in advance by the Chief of the Forest Service or by such other personnel as the Chief may designate.
(b) Limitations. Purchase of information under this section is restricted to furthering investigations of felony and misdemeanor violations. Payment for information to further investigations of petty offenses as classified in title 18 U.S.C., section 1, are not authorized under this section.
[48 FR 26604, June 9, 1983]