Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
The Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (e-CFR) is a regularly updated, unofficial editorial compilation of CFR material and Federal Register amendments produced by the National Archives and Records Administration's Office of the Federal Register (OFR) and the Government Printing Office.
Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules for the Code of Federal Regulations and the United States Code
Text | PDF
Find, review, and submit comments on Federal rules that are open for comment and published in the Federal Register using Regulations.gov.
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
Title 26: Internal Revenue
§1.61-10 Alimony and separate maintenance payments; annuities; income from life insurance and endowment contracts.
(a) In general. Alimony and separate maintenance payments, annuities, and income from life insurance and endowment contracts in general constitute gross income, unless excluded by law. Annuities paid by religious, charitable, and educational corporations are generally taxable to the same extent as other annuities. An annuity charged upon devised land is taxable to the donee-annuitant to the extent that it becomes payable out of the rents or other income of the land, whether or not it is a charge upon the income of the land.
(b) Cross references. For the detailed rules relating to—
(1) Alimony and separate maintenance payments, see section 71 and the regulations thereunder;
(2) Annuities, certain proceeds of endowment and life insurance contracts, see section 72 and the regulations thereunder;
(3) Life insurance proceeds paid by reason of death of insured, employees' death benefits, see section 101 and the regulations thereunder;
(4) Annuities paid by employees' trusts, see section 402 and the regulations thereunder;
(5) Annuities purchased for employee by employer, see section 403 and the regulations thereunder.