Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
The Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (e-CFR) is a regularly updated, unofficial editorial compilation of CFR material and Federal Register amendments produced by the National Archives and Records Administration's Office of the Federal Register (OFR) and the Government Publishing Office.
Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules for the Code of Federal Regulations and the United States Code
Text | PDF
Find, review, and submit comments on Federal rules that are open for comment and published in the Federal Register using Regulations.gov.
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
§312.40 General requirements for use of an investigational new drug in a clinical investigation.
(a) An investigational new drug may be used in a clinical investigation if the following conditions are met:
(1) The sponsor of the investigation submits an IND for the drug to FDA; the IND is in effect under paragraph (b) of this section; and the sponsor complies with all applicable requirements in this part and parts 50 and 56 with respect to the conduct of the clinical investigations; and
(2) Each participating investigator conducts his or her investigation in compliance with the requirements of this part and parts 50 and 56.
(b) An IND goes into effect:
(1) Thirty days after FDA receives the IND, unless FDA notifies the sponsor that the investigations described in the IND are subject to a clinical hold under §312.42; or
(2) On earlier notification by FDA that the clinical investigations in the IND may begin. FDA will notify the sponsor in writing of the date it receives the IND.
(c) A sponsor may ship an investigational new drug to investigators named in the IND:
(1) Thirty days after FDA receives the IND; or
(2) On earlier FDA authorization to ship the drug.
(d) An investigator may not administer an investigational new drug to human subjects until the IND goes into effect under paragraph (b) of this section.