The Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) annual edition is the codification of the general and permanent rules published in the Federal Register by the departments and agencies of the Federal Government produced by the Office of the Federal Register (OFR) and the Government Publishing Office.
Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules for the Code of Federal Regulations and the United States Code
Text | PDF
Find, review, and submit comments on Federal rules that are open for comment and published in the Federal Register using Regulations.gov.
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
Title 14: Aeronautics and Space
§121.407 Training program: Approval of airplane simulators and other training devices.
(a) Each airplane simulator and other training device used to satisfy a training requirement of this part in an approved training program, must meet all of the following requirements:
(1) Be specifically approved by the Administrator for—
(i) Use in the certificate holder's approved training program;
(ii) The type airplane and, if applicable, the particular variation within type, for which the training or check is being conducted; and
(iii) The particular maneuver, procedure, or flightcrew member function involved.
(2) Maintain the performance, function, and other characteristics that are required for qualification in accordance with part 60 of this chapter or a previously qualified device, as permitted in accordance with §60.17 of this chapter.
(3) Be modified in accordance with part 60 of this chapter to conform with any modification to the airplane being simulated that results in changes to performance, function, or other characteristics required for qualification.
(4) Be given a daily functional preflight check before being used.
(5) Have a daily discrepancy log kept with each discrepancy entered in that log by the appropriate instructor or check airman at the end of each training or check flight.
(b) A particular airplane simulator or other training device may be approved for use by more than one certificate holder.
(c) An airplane simulator may be used instead of the airplane to satisfy the in-flight requirements of §§121.439 and 121.441 and appendices E and F of this part, if the simulator—
(1) Is approved under this section and meets the appropriate simulator requirements of appendix H of this part; and
(2) Is used as part of an approved program that meets the training requirements of §121.424 (a) and (c) and appendix H of this part.
(d) An airplane simulator approved under this section must be used instead of the airplane to satisfy the pilot flight training requirements prescribed in the certificate holder's approved low-altitude windshear flight training program set forth in §121.409(d) of this part.
(e) An airplane simulator approved under this section must be used instead of the airplane to satisfy the pilot flight training requirements prescribed in the extended envelope training set forth in §121.423 of this part. Compliance with this paragraph is required no later than March 12, 2019.
[Doc. No. 9509, 35 FR 90, Jan. 3, 1970, as amended by Amdt. 121-161, 45 FR 44183, June 30, 1980; Amdt. 121-199, 53 FR 37696, Sept. 27, 1988; Amdt. 121-366, 78 FR 67836, Nov. 12, 2013]