Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
The Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (e-CFR) is a regularly updated, unofficial editorial compilation of CFR material and Federal Register amendments produced by the National Archives and Records Administration's Office of the Federal Register (OFR) and the Government Printing Office.
Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules for the Code of Federal Regulations and the United States Code
Text | PDF
Find, review, and submit comments on Federal rules that are open for comment and published in the Federal Register using Regulations.gov.
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
For purposes of this part, words shall be defined as provided for in section 321 of the Act and as follows—
3-Way incandescent lamp means an incandescent lamp that—
(1) Employs two filaments, operated separately and in combination, to provide three light levels; and
(2) Is designated on the lamp packaging and marketing materials as being a 3-way incandescent lamp.
Act means the Energy Policy and Conservation Act of 1975, as amended, 42 U.S.C. 6291-6316.
Active mode means the condition in which an energy-using product—
(1) Is connected to a main power source;
(2) Has been activated; and
(3) Provides one or more main functions.
Annual fuel utilization efficiency means the efficiency descriptor for furnaces and boilers, determined using test procedures prescribed under section 323 and based on the assumption that all—
(1) Weatherized warm air furnaces or boilers are located out-of-doors;
(2) Warm air furnaces which are not weatherized are located indoors and all combustion and ventilation air is admitted through grill or ducts from the outdoors and does not communicate with air in the conditioned space;
(3) Boilers which are not weatherized are located within the heated space.
ANSI means the American National Standards Institute.
Appliance lamp means any lamp that—
(1) Is specifically designed to operate in a household appliance and has a maximum wattage of 40 watts (including an oven lamp, refrigerator lamp, and vacuum cleaner lamp); and
(2) When sold at retail, is designated and marketed for the intended application, with
(i) The designation on the lamp packaging; and
(ii) Marketing materials that identify the lamp as being for appliance use.
ARM/simulation adjustment factor means a factor used as part of a DOE-approved alternative rating method (ARM) to improve the accuracy of the calculated ratings for untested split-system central air conditioners or heat pumps. The adjustment factor associated with each outdoor unit must be set such that it reduces the difference between the SEER (HSPF) determined using the ARM and a split-system combination tested in accordance with §430.24(m)(1). The ARM/simulation adjustment factor is an integral part of the ARM and must be a DOE-approved element in accordance with 10 CFR 430.24(m)(4) to (m)(6).
ASME means the American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
Automatic clothes washer means a class of clothes washer which has a control system which is capable of scheduling a preselected combination of operations, such as regulation of water temperature, regulation of the water fill level, and performance of wash, rinse, drain, and spin functions without the need for user intervention subsequent to the initiation of machine operation. Some models may require user intervention to initiate these different segments of the cycle after the machine has begun operation, but they do not require the user to intervene to regulate the water temperature by adjusting the external water faucet valves.
Ballast means a device used with an electric discharge lamp to obtain necessary circuit conditions (voltage, current, and waveform) for starting and operating.
Ballast efficacy factor means the relative light output divided by the power input of a fluorescent lamp ballast, as measured under test conditions specified in ANSI Standard C82.2-1984.
Ballast luminous efficiency means the total fluorescent lamp arc power divided by the fluorescent lamp ballast input power multiplied by the appropriate frequency adjustment factor, as defined in Appendix Q1 of subpart B of this part.
Baseboard electric heater means an electric heater which is intended to be recessed in or surface mounted on walls at floor level, which is characterized by long, low physical dimensions, and which transfers heat by natural convection and/or radiation.
Basic model means all units of a given type of covered product (or class thereof) manufactured by one manufacturer, having the same primary energy source, and which have essentially identical electrical, physical, and functional (or hydraulic) characteristics that affect energy consumption, energy efficiency, water consumption, or water efficiency; and
(1) With respect to general service fluorescent lamps, general service incandescent lamps, and incandescent reflector lamps: Lamps that have essentially identical light output and electrical characteristics—including lumens per watt (lm/W) and color rendering index (CRI).
(2) With respect to faucets and showerheads: Have the identical flow control mechanism attached to or installed within the fixture fittings, or the identical water-passage design features that use the same path of water in the highest flow mode.
(3) with respect to furnace fans: Are marketed and/or designed to be installed in the same type of installation.
Basic-voltage external power supply means an external power supply that is not a low-voltage external power supply.
Batch means a collection of production units of a basic model from which a batch sample is selected.
Batch sample means the collection of units of the same basic model from which test units are selected.
Batch sample size means the number of units in a batch sample.
Batch size means the number of units in a batch.
Battery charger means a device that charges batteries for consumer products, including battery chargers embedded in other consumer products.
Blowout toilet means a water closet that uses a non-siphonic bowl with an integral flushing rim, a trap at the rear of the bowl, and a visible or concealed jet that operates with a blowout action.
BPAR incandescent reflector lamp means a reflector lamp as shown in figure C78.21-278 on page 32 of ANSI C78.21-2003 (incorporated by reference; see §430.3).
BR30 means a BR incandescent reflector lamp with a diameter of 30/8ths of an inch.
BR40 means a BR incandescent reflector lamp with a diameter of 40/8ths of an inch.
BR incandescent reflector lamp means a reflector lamp that has—
(1) A bulged section below the major diameter of the bulb and above the approximate baseline of the bulb, as shown in figure 1 (RB) on page 7 of ANSI C79.1-1994, (incorporated by reference, see §430.3); and
(2) A finished size and shape shown in ANSI C78.21-1989 (incorporated by reference; see §430.3), including the referenced reflective characteristics in part 7 of ANSI C78.21-1989.
BR incandescent reflector lamp means a reflector lamp that has a bulged section below the bulb's major diameter and above its approximate base line as shown in Figure 1 (RB) on page 7 of ANSI C79.1-1994. A BR30 lamp has a lamp wattage of 85 or less than 66 and a BR40 lamp has a lamp wattage of 120 or less.
Btu means British thermal unit, which is the quantity of heat required to raise the temperature of one pound of water one degree Fahrenheit.
Built-in refrigerator/refrigerator-freezer/freezer means any refrigerator, refrigerator-freezer or freezer with 7.75 cubic feet or greater total volume and 24 inches or less depth not including doors, handles, and custom front panels; with sides which are not finished and not designed to be visible after installation; and that is designed, intended, and marketed exclusively (1) To be installed totally encased by cabinetry or panels that are attached during installation, (2) to be securely fastened to adjacent cabinetry, walls or floor, and (3) to either be equipped with an integral factory-finished face or accept a custom front panel.
Candelabra base incandescent lamp means a lamp that uses a candelabra screw base as described in ANSI C81.61, Specifications for Electric Bases, common designations E11 and E12 (incorporated by reference; see §430.3).
Casement-only means a room air conditioner designed for mounting in a casement window with an encased assembly with a width of 14.8 inches or less and a height of 11.2 inches or less.
Casement-slider means a room air conditioner with an encased assembly designed for mounting in a sliding or casement window with a width of 15.5 inches or less.
Ceiling electric heater means an electric heater which is intended to be recessed in, surface mounted on, or hung from a ceiling, and which transfers heat by radiation and/or convection (either natural or forced).
Ceiling fan means a nonportable device that is suspended from a ceiling for circulating air via the rotation of fan blades.
Ceiling fan light kit means equipment designed to provide light from a ceiling fan that can be—
(1) Integral, such that the equipment is attached to the ceiling fan prior to the time of retail sale; or
(2) Attachable, such that at the time of retail sale the equipment is not physically attached to the ceiling fan, but may be included inside the ceiling fan at the time of sale or sold separately for subsequent attachment to the fan.
Central air conditioner means a product, other than a packaged terminal air conditioner, which is powered by single phase electric current, air cooled, rated below 65,000 Btu per hour, not contained within the same cabinet as a furnace, the rated capacity of which is above 225,000 Btu per hour, and is a heat pump or a cooling unit only.
Central system humidifier means a class of humidifier designed to add moisture into the air stream of a heating system.
Class A external power supply—
(1) Means a device that—
(i) Is designed to convert line voltage AC input into lower voltage AC or DC output;
(ii) Is able to convert to only one AC or DC output voltage at a time;
(iii) Is sold with, or intended to be used with, a separate end-use product that constitutes the primary load;
(iv) Is contained in a separate physical enclosure from the end-use product;
(v) Is connected to the end-use product via a removable or hard-wired male/female electrical connection, cable, cord, or other wiring; and
(vi) Has nameplate output power that is less than or equal to 250 watts;
(2) But, does not include any device that—
(i) Requires Federal Food and Drug Administration listing and approval as a medical device in accordance with section 513 of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (21 U.S.C. 360(c)); or
(ii) Powers the charger of a detachable battery pack or charges the battery of a product that is fully or primarily motor operated.
Clothes washer means a consumer product designed to clean clothes, utilizing a water solution of soap and/or detergent and mechanical agitation or other movement, and must be one of the following classes: automatic clothes washers, semi-automatic clothes washers, and other clothes washers.
Coil family means a group of coils with the same basic design features that affect the heat exchanger performance. These features are the basic configuration, i.e., A-shape, V-shape, slanted or flat top, the heat transfer surfaces on refrigerant and air sides (flat tubes vs. grooved tubes, fin shapes), the tube and fin materials, and the coil circuitry. When a group of coils has all these features in common, it constitutes a “coil family.”
Cold temperature fluorescent lamp means a fluorescent lamp specifically designed to start at −20 °F when used with a ballast conforming to the requirements of ANSI C78.81 (incorporated by reference; see §430.3) and ANSI C78.901 (incorporated by reference; see §430.3), and is expressly designated as a cold temperature lamp both in markings on the lamp and in marketing materials, including catalogs, sales literature, and promotional material.
Colored fluorescent lamp means a fluorescent lamp designated and marketed as a colored lamp and not designed or marketed for general illumination applications with either of the following characteristics:
Component video means a video display interface as defined in the Consumer Electronics Association's (CEA) standard, CEA-770.3-D (incorporated by reference; see §430.3).
Composite video means a video display interface that uses Radio Corporation of America (RCA) connections carrying a signal defined by the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers' (SMPTE) standard, SMPTE 170M-2004 (incorporated by reference; see §430.3) for regions that support a power frequency of 59.94 Hz or International Telecommunication Union's (ITU) standard, ITU-R BT 470-6 (incorporated by reference; see §430.3) for regions that support a power frequency of 50 Hz.
(1) A CRI less than 40, as determined according to the method set forth in CIE Publication 13.3 (incorporated by reference; see §430.3); or
(2) A correlated color temperature less than 2,500K or greater than 7,000K as determined according to the method set forth in IES LM-9 (incorporated by reference; see §430.3).
Colored incandescent lamp means an incandescent lamp designated and marketed as a colored lamp that has—
(1) A color rendering index of less than 50, as determined according to the test method given in CIE 13.3 (incorporated by reference; see §430.3); or
(2) A correlated color temperature of less than 2,500K, or greater than 4,600K, where correlated temperature is computed according to the “Computation of Correlated Color Temperature and Distribution Temperature,” Journal of the Optical Society of America, (incorporated by reference; see §430.3).
Color Rendering Index or CRI means the measured degree of color shift objects undergo when illuminated by a light source as compared with the color of those same objects when illuminated by a reference source of comparable color temperature.
Compact refrigerator/refrigerator-freezer/freezer means any refrigerator, refrigerator-freezer or freezer with total volume less than 7.75 cubic foot (220 liters) (rated volume as determined in appendices A1 and B1 of subpart B of this part before appendices A and B become mandatory and as determined in appendices A and B of this subpart once appendices A and B become mandatory (see the notes at the beginning of appendices A and B)).
Condenser-evaporator coil combination means a condensing unit made by one manufacturer and one of several evaporator coils, either manufactured by the same manufacturer or another manufacturer, intended to be combined with that particular condensing unit.
Condensing unit means a component of a central air conditioner which is designed to remove the heat absorbed by the refrigerant and to transfer it to the outside environment, and which consists of an outdoor coil, compressor(s), and air moving device.
Consumer product means any article (other than an automobile, as defined in Section 501(1) of the Motor Vehicle Information and Cost Savings Act):
(1) Of a type—
(i) Which in operation consumes, or is designed to consume, energy or, with respect to showerheads, faucets, water closets, and urinals, water; and
(ii) Which, to any significant extent, is distributed in commerce for personal use or consumption by individuals;
(2) Without regard to whether such article of such type is in fact distributed in commerce for personal use or consumption by an individual, except that such term includes fluorescent lamp ballasts, general service fluorescent lamps, incandescent reflector lamps, showerheads, faucets, water closets, and urinals distributed in commerce for personal or commercial use or consumption.
Convection microwave oven means a microwave oven that incorporates convection features and any other means of cooking in a single compartment.
Conventional cooking top means a class of kitchen ranges and ovens which is a household cooking appliance consisting of a horizontal surface containing one or more surface units which include either a gas flame or electric resistance heating.
Conventional oven means a class of kitchen ranges and ovens which is a household cooking appliance consisting of one or more compartments intended for the cooking or heating of food by means of either a gas flame or electric resistance heating. It does not include portable or countertop ovens which use electric resistance heating for the cooking or heating of food and are designed for an electrical supply of approximately 120 volts.
Conventional range means a class of kitchen ranges and ovens which is a household cooking appliance consisting of a conventional cooking top and one or more conventional ovens.
Convertible cooking appliance means any kitchen range and oven which is a household cooking appliance designed by the manufacturer to be changed in service from use with natural gas to use with LP-gas, and vice versa, by incorporating in the appliance convertible orifices for the main gas burners and a convertible gas pressure regulator.
Cooking products means consumer products that are used as the major household cooking appliances. They are designed to cook or heat different types of food by one or more of the following sources of heat: gas, electricity, or microwave energy. Each product may consist of a horizontal cooking top containing one or more surface units and/or one or more heating compartments. They must be one of the following classes: conventional ranges, conventional cooking tops, conventional ovens, microwave ovens, microwave/conventional ranges and other cooking products.
Correlated color temperature means the absolute temperature of a blackbody whose chromaticity most nearly resembles that of the light source.
Covered product means a consumer product:
(1) Of a type specified in section 322 of the Act, or
(2) That is a ceiling fan, ceiling fan light kit, medium base compact fluorescent lamp, dehumidifier, battery charger, external power supply, or torchiere.
Dehumidifier means a self-contained, electrically operated, and mechanically refrigerated encased assembly consisting of—
(1) A refrigerated surface (evaporator) that condenses moisture from the atmosphere;
(2) A refrigerating system, including an electric motor;
(3) An air-circulating fan; and
(4) Means for collecting or disposing of the condensate.
Design voltage with respect to an incandescent lamp means:
(1) The voltage marked as the intended operating voltage;
(2) The mid-point of the voltage range if the lamp is marked with a voltage range; or
(3) 120 V if the lamp is not marked with a voltage or voltage range.
Detachable battery means a battery that is—
(1) Contained in a separate enclosure from the product; and
(2) Intended to be removed or disconnected from the product for recharging.
Direct heating equipment means vented home heating equipment and unvented home heating equipment.
Direct operation external power supply means an external power supply that can operate a consumer product that is not a battery charger without the assistance of a battery.
Direct vent system means a system supplied by a manufacturer which provides outdoor air or air from an unheated space (such as an attic or crawl space) directly to a furnace or vented heater for combustion and for draft relief if the unit is equipped with a draft control device.
Dishwasher means a cabinet-like appliance which with the aid of water and detergent, washes, rinses, and dries (when a drying process is included) dishware, glassware, eating utensils, and most cooking utensils by chemical, mechanical and/or electrical means and discharges to the plumbing drainage system.
DOE means the Department of Energy.
Dual-flush water closet means a water closet incorporating a feature that allows the user to flush the water closet with either a reduced or a full volume of water.
Electric boiler means an electrically powered furnace designed to supply low pressure steam or hot water for space heating application. A low pressure steam boiler operates at or below 15 pounds per square inch gauge (psig) steam pressure; a hot water boiler operates at or below 160 psig water pressure and 250 °F. water temperature.
Electric central furnace means a furnace designed to supply heat through a system of ducts with air as the heating medium, in which heat is generated by one or more electric resistance heating elements and the heated air is circulated by means of a fan or blower.
Electric clothes dryer means a cabinet-like appliance designed to dry fabrics in a tumble-type drum with forced air circulation. The heat source is electricity and the drum and blower(s) are driven by an electric motor(s).
Electric heater means an electric appliance in which heat is generated from electrical energy and dissipated by convection and radiation and includes baseboard electric heaters, ceiling electric heaters, floor electric heaters, portable electric heaters, and wall electric heaters.
Electric refrigerator means a cabinet designed for the refrigerated storage of food, designed to be capable of achieving storage temperatures above 32 °F (0 °C) and below 39 °F (3.9 °C), and having a source of refrigeration requiring single phase, alternating current electric energy input only. An electric refrigerator may include a compartment for the freezing and storage of food at temperatures below 32 °F (0 °C), but does not provide a separate low temperature compartment designed for the freezing and storage of food at temperatures below 8 °F (−13.3 °C).
Electric refrigerator-freezer means a cabinet which consists of two or more compartments with at least one of the compartments designed for the refrigerated storage of food and designed to be capable of achieving storage temperatures above 32 °F (0 °C) and below 39 °F (3.9 °C), and with at least one of the compartments designed for the freezing and storage of food at temperatures below 8 °F (−13.3 °C) which may be adjusted by the user to a temperature of 0 °F (−17.8 °C) or below. The source of refrigeration requires single phase, alternating current electric energy input only.
Electromechanical hydraulic toilet means any water closet that utilizes electrically operated devices, such as, but not limited to, air compressors, pumps, solenoids, motors, or macerators in place of or to aid gravity in evacuating waste from the toilet bowl.
Electronic ballast means a device that uses semiconductors as the primary means to control lamp starting and operation.
Energy conservation standard means any standards meeting the definitions of that term in 42 U.S.C. 6291(6) and 42 U.S.C. 6311(18) as well as any other water conservation standards and design requirements found in this part or parts 430 or 431.
Energy use of a type of consumer product which is used by households means the energy consumed by such product within housing units occupied by households (such as energy for space heating and cooling, water heating, the operation of appliances, or other activities of the households), and includes energy consumed on any property that is contiguous with a housing unit and that is used primarily by the household occupying the housing unit (such as energy for exterior lights or heating a pool).
ER incandescent reflector lamp means a reflector lamp that has—
(1) An elliptical section below the major diameter of the bulb and above the approximate baseline of the bulb, as shown in figure 1 (RE) on page 7 of ANSI C79.1-1994, (incorporated by reference; see §430.3); and
(2) A finished size and shape shown in ANSI C78.21-1989, (incorporated by reference; see §430.3).
ER30 means an ER incandescent reflector lamp with a diameter of 30/8ths of an inch.
ER40 means an ER incandescent reflector lamp with a diameter of 40/8ths of an inch.
Estimated annual operating cost means the aggregate retail cost of the energy which is likely to be consumed annually, and in the case of showerheads, faucets, water closets, and urinals, the aggregate retail cost of water and wastewater treatment services likely to be incurred annually, in representative use of a consumer product, determined in accordance with Section 323 of EPCA (42 U.S.C. 6293).
Evaporator coil means a component of a central air conditioner which is designed to absorb heat from an enclosed space and transfer the heat to a refrigerant.
External power supply means an external power supply circuit that is used to convert household electric current into DC current or lower-voltage AC current to operate a consumer product.
External power supply design family means a set of external power supply basic models, produced by the same manufacturer, which share the same circuit layout, output power, and output cord resistance, but differ in output voltage.
Faucet means a lavatory faucet, kitchen faucet, metering faucet, or replacement aerator for a lavatory or kitchen faucet.
Fitting means a device that controls and guides the flow of water.
Floor electric heater means an electric heater which is intended to be recessed in a floor, and which transfers by radiation and/or convection (either natural or forced).
Fluorescent lamp means a low pressure mercury electric-discharge source in which a fluorescing coating transforms some of the ultraviolet energy generated by the mercury discharge into light, including only the following:
(1) Any straight-shaped lamp (commonly referred to as 4-foot medium bipin lamps) with medium bipin bases of nominal overall length of 48 inches and rated wattage of 25 or more;
(2) Any U-shaped lamp (commonly referred to as 2-foot U-shaped lamps) with medium bipin bases of nominal overall length between 22 and 25 inches and rated wattage of 25 or more;
(3) Any rapid start lamp (commonly referred to as 8-foot high output lamps) with recessed double contact bases of nominal overall length of 96 inches;
(4) Any instant start lamp (commonly referred to as 8-foot slimline lamps) with single pin bases of nominal overall length of 96 inches and rated wattage of 52 or more;
(5) Any straight-shaped lamp (commonly referred to as 4-foot miniature bipin standard output lamps) with miniature bipin bases of nominal overall length between 45 and 48 inches and rated wattage of 26 or more; and
(6) Any straight-shaped lamp (commonly referred to 4-foot miniature bipin high output lamps) with miniature bipin bases of nominal overall length between 45 and 48 inches and rated wattage of 49 or more.
Fluorescent lamp ballast means a device which is used to start and operate fluorescent lamps by providing a starting voltage and current and limiting the current during normal operation.
Flushometer tank means a device whose function is defined in flushometer valve, but integrated within an accumulator vessel affixed and adjacent to the fixture inlet so as to cause an effective enlargement of the supply line immediately before the unit.
Flushometer valve means a valve attached to a pressurized water supply pipe and so designed that when actuated, it opens the line for direct flow into the fixture at a rate and quantity to properly operate the fixture, and then gradually closes to provide trap reseal in the fixture in order to avoid water hammer. The pipe to which this device is connected is in itself of sufficient size, that when open, will allow the device to deliver water at a sufficient rate of flow for flushing purposes.
Forced air central furnace means a gas or oil burning furnace designed to supply heat through a system of ducts with air as the heating medium. The heat generated by combustion of gas or oil is transferred to the air within a casing by conduction through heat exchange surfaces and is circulated through the duct system by means of a fan or blower.
Freezer means a cabinet designed as a unit for the freezing and storage of food at temperatures of 0 °F. or below, and having a source of refrigeration requiring single phase, alternating current electric energy input only.
Furnace means a product which utilizes only single-phase electric current, or single-phase electric current or DC current in conjunction with natural gas, propane, or home heating oil, and which—
(1) Is designed to be the principal heating source for the living space of a residence;
(2) Is not contained within the same cabinet with a central air conditioner whose rated cooling capacity is above 65,000 Btu per hour;
(3) Is an electric central furnace, electric boiler, forced-air central furnace, gravity central furnace, or low pressure steam or hot water boiler; and
(4) Has a heat input rate of less than 300,000 Btu per hour for electric boilers and low pressure steam or hot water boilers and less than 225,000 Btu per hour for forced-air central furnaces, gravity central furnaces, and electric central furnaces, gravity central furnaces, and electric central furnaces.
Furnace fan means an electrically-powered device used in a consumer product for the purpose of circulating air through ductwork.
Gas means either natural gas or propane.
Gas clothes dryer means a cabinet-like appliance designed to dry fabrics in a tumble-type drum with forced air circulation. The heat source is gas and the drum and blower(s) are driven by an electric motor(s).
General lighting application means lighting that provides an interior or exterior area with overall illumination.
General service fluorescent lamp means any fluorescent lamp which can be used to satisfy the majority of fluorescent lighting applications, but does not include any lamp designed and marketed for the following nongeneral application:
(1) Fluorescent lamps designed to promote plant growth;
(2) Fluorescent lamps specifically designed for cold temperature applications;
(3) Colored fluorescent lamps;
(4) Impact-resistant fluorescent lamps;
(5) Reflectorized or aperture lamps;
(6) Fluorescent lamps designed for use in reprographic equipment;
(7) Lamps primarily designed to produce radiation in the ultra-violet region of the spectrum; and
(8) Lamps with a Color Rendering Index of 87 or greater.
General service incandescent lamp means a standard incandescent or halogen type lamp that is intended for general service applications; has a medium screw base; has a lumen range of not less than 310 lumens and not more than 2,600 lumens or, in the case of a modified spectrum lamp, not less than 232 lumens and not more than 1,950 lumens; and is capable of being operated at a voltage range at least partially within 110 and 130 volts; however this definition does not apply to the following incandescent lamps—
(1) An appliance lamp;
(2) A black light lamp;
(3) A bug lamp;
(4) A colored lamp;
(5) An infrared lamp;
(6) A left-hand thread lamp;
(7) A marine lamp;
(8) A marine signal service lamp;
(9) A mine service lamp;
(10) A plant light lamp;
(11) A reflector lamp;
(12) A rough service lamp;
(13) A shatter-resistant lamp (including a shatter-proof lamp and a shatter-protected lamp);
(14) A sign service lamp;
(15) A silver bowl lamp;
(16) A showcase lamp;
(17) A 3-way incandescent lamp;
(18) A traffic signal lamp;
(19) A vibration service lamp;
(20) A G shape lamp (as defined in ANSI C78.20) (incorporated by reference; see §430.3) and ANSI C79.1-2002 (incorporated by reference; see §430.3) with a diameter of 5 inches or more;
(21) A T shape lamp (as defined in ANSI C78.20) (incorporated by reference; see §430.3) and ANSI C79.1-2002 (incorporated by reference; see §430.3) and that uses not more than 40 watts or has a length of more than 10 inches; and
(22) A B, BA, CA, F, G16-1/2, G-25, G30, S, or M-14 lamp (as defined in ANSI C79.1-2002) (incorporated by reference; see §430.3) and ANSI C78.20 (incorporated by reference; see §430.3) of 40 watts or less.
General service lamp includes general service incandescent lamps, compact fluorescent lamps, general service light-emitting diode lamps, organic light-emitting diode lamps, and any other lamps that the Secretary determines are used to satisfy lighting applications traditionally served by general service incandescent lamps; however, this definition does not apply to any lighting application or bulb shape excluded from the “general service incandescent lamp” definition, or any general service fluorescent lamp or incandescent reflector lamp.
Gravity central furnace means a gas fueled furnace which depends primarily on natural convection for circulation of heated air and which is designed to be used in conjunction with a system of ducts.
Hand-held showerhead means a showerhead that can be held or fixed in place for the purpose of spraying water onto a bather and that is connected to a flexible hose.
Heat pump means a product, other than a packaged terminal heat pump, which consists of one or more assemblies, powered by single phase electric current, rated below 65,000 Btu per hour, utilizing an indoor conditioning coil, compressor, and refrigerant-to-outdoor air heat exchanger to provide air heating, and may also provide air cooling, dehumidifying, humidifying circulating, and air cleaning.
High-definition multimedia interface or HDMI® means an audio and video interface as defined by HDMI® Specification Informational Version 1.0 or greater (incorporated by reference; see §430.3).
Home heating equipment, not including furnaces means vented home heating equipment and unvented home heating equipment.
Household means an entity consisting of either an individual, a family, or a group of unrelated individuals, who reside in a particular housing unit. For the purpose of this definition:
(1) Group quarters means living quarters that are occupied by an institutional group of 10 or more unrelated persons, such as a nursing home, military barracks, halfway house, college dormitory, fraternity or sorority house, convent, shelter, jail or correctional institution.
(2) Housing unit means a house, an apartment, a group of rooms, or a single room occupied as separate living quarters, but does not include group quarters.
(3) Separate living quarters means living quarters:
(i) To which the occupants have access either:
(A) Directly from outside of the building, or
(B) Through a common hall that is accessible to other living quarters and that does not go through someone else's living quarters, and
(ii) Occupied by one or more persons who live and eat separately from occupant(s) of other living quarters, if any, in the same building.
Immersed heating element means an electrically powered heating device which is designed to operate while totally immersed in water in such a manner that the heat generated by the device is imparted directly to the water.
Import means to import into the customs territory of the United States.
Incandescent lamp means a lamp in which light is produced by a filament heated to incandescence by an electric current, including only the following:
(1) Any lamp (commonly referred to as lower wattage non-reflector general service lamps, including any tungsten halogen lamp) that has a rated wattage between 30 and 199, has an E26 medium screw base, has a rated voltage or voltage range that lies at least partially in the range of 115 and 130 volts, and is not a reflector lamp.
(2) Any incandescent reflector lamp.
(3) Any general service incandescent lamp (commonly referred to as a high-or higher-wattage lamp) that has a rated wattage above 199 (above 205 for a high wattage reflector lamp).
Incandescent reflector lamp (commonly referred to as a reflector lamp) means any lamp in which light is produced by a filament heated to incandescence by an electric current, which: contains an inner reflective coating on the outer bulb to direct the light; is not colored; is not designed for rough or vibration service applications; is not an R20 short lamp; has an R, PAR, ER, BR, BPAR, or similar bulb shapes with an E26 medium screw base; has a rated voltage or voltage range that lies at least partially in the range of 115 and 130 volts; has a diameter that exceeds 2.25 inches; and has a rated wattage that is 40 watts or higher.
Indirect operation external power supply means an external power supply that cannot operate a consumer product that is not a battery charger without the assistance of a battery as determined by the steps in paragraphs (1)(i) through (v) of this definition:
(1) If the external power supply (EPS) can be connected to an end-use consumer product and that consumer product can be operated using battery power, the method for determining whether that EPS is incapable of operating that consumer product directly is as follows:
(i) If the end-use product has a removable battery, remove it for the remainder of the test and proceed to the step in paragraph (1)(v) of this definition. If not, proceed to the step in paragraph (1)(ii).
(ii) Charge the battery in the application via the EPS such that the application can operate as intended before taking any additional steps.
(iii) Disconnect the EPS from the application. From an off mode state, turn on the application and record the time necessary for it to become operational to the nearest five second increment (5 sec, 10 sec, etc.).
(iv) Operate the application using power only from the battery until the application stops functioning due to the battery discharging.
(v) Connect the EPS first to mains and then to the application. Immediately attempt to operate the application. If the battery was removed for testing and the end-use product operates as intended, the EPS is not an indirect operation EPS and paragraph 2 of this definition does not apply. If the battery could not be removed for testing, record the time for the application to become operational to the nearest five second increment (5 seconds, 10 seconds, etc.).
(2) If the time recorded in paragraph (1)(v) of this definition is greater than the summation of the time recorded in paragraph (1)(iii) of this definition and five seconds, the EPS cannot operate the application directly and is an indirect operation EPS.
Indoor unit means a component of a split-system central air conditioner or heat pump that is designed to transfer heat between the refrigerant and the indoor air, and which consists of an indoor coil, a cooling mode expansion device, and may include an air moving device.
Intermediate base incandescent lamp means a lamp that uses an intermediate screw base as described in ANSI C81.61, Specifications for Electric Bases, common designation E17 (incorporated by reference; see §430.3).
Kerosene means No. 1 fuel oil with a viscosity meeting the specifications as specified in UL-730-1974, section 36.9 and in tables 2 and 3 of ANSI Standard Z91.1-1972.
Lamp Efficacy (LE) means the measured lumen output of a lamp in lumens divided by the measured lamp electrical power input in watts expressed in units of lumens per watt (LPW).
Light-emitting diode or LED means a p-n junction solid state device of which the radiated output, either in the infrared region, the visible region, or the ultraviolet region, is a function of the physical construction, material used, and exciting current of the device.
Low consumption has the meaning given such a term in ASME A112.19.2-2008. (see §430.3)
Low pressure steam or hot water boiler means an electric, gas or oil burning furnace designed to supply low pressure steam or hot water for space heating application. A low pressure steam boiler operates at or below 15 pounds psig steam pressure; a hot water boiler operates at or below 160 psig water pressure and 250 °F. water temperature.
Low-voltage external power supply means an external power supply with a nameplate output voltage less than 6 volts and nameplate output current greater than or equal to 550 milliamps.
LP-gas means liquified petroleum gas, and includes propane, butane, and propane/butane mixtures.
Major cooking component means either a conventional cooking top, a conventional oven or a microwave oven.
Manufacture means to manufacture, produce, assemble, or import.
Manufacturer means any person who manufactures a consumer product.
Medium base compact fluorescent lamp means an integrally ballasted fluorescent lamp with a medium screw base, a rated input voltage range of 115 to 130 volts and which is designed as a direct replacement for a general service incandescent lamp; however, the term does not include—
(1) Any lamp that is—
(i) Specifically designed to be used for special purpose applications; and
(ii) Unlikely to be used in general purpose applications, such as the applications described in the definition of “General Service Incandescent Lamp” in this section; or
(2) Any lamp not described in the definition of “General Service Incandescent Lamp” in this section that is excluded by the Secretary, by rule, because the lamp is—
(i) Designed for special applications; and
(ii) Unlikely to be used in general purpose applications.
Medium screw base means an Edison screw base identified with the prefix E-26 in the “American National Standard for Electric Lamp Bases”, ANSI_IEC C81.61-2003, published by the American National Standards Institute.
Microwave/conventional cooking top means a class of kitchen ranges and ovens that is a household cooking appliance consisting of a microwave oven and a conventional cooking top.
Microwave/conventional oven means a class of kitchen ranges and ovens that is a household cooking appliance consisting of a microwave oven and a conventional oven in separate compartments.
Microwave/conventional range means a class of kitchen ranges and ovens that is a household cooking appliance consisting of a microwave oven and a conventional oven in separate compartments and a conventional cooking top.
Microwave oven means a class of kitchen ranges and ovens comprised of household cooking appliances consisting of a compartment designed to cook or heat food by means of microwave energy, including microwave ovens with or without thermal elements designed for surface browning of food and convection microwave ovens.
Mobile home furnace means a direct vent furnace that is designed for use only in mobile homes.
Modified spectrum means, with respect to an incandescent lamp, an incandescent lamp that—
(1) Is not a colored incandescent lamp; and
(2) When operated at the rated voltage and wattage of the incandescent lamp—
(A) Has a color point with (x,y) chromaticity coordinates on the C.I.E. 1931 chromaticity diagram, figure 2, page 3 of IESNA LM-16 (incorporated by reference; see §430.3) that lies below the black-body locus; and
(B) Has a color point with (x,y) chromaticity coordinates on the C.I.E. 1931 chromaticity diagram, figure 2, page 3 of IESNA LM-16 (incorporated by reference; see §430.3) that lies at least 4 MacAdam steps, as referenced in IESNA LM-16, distant from the color point of a clear lamp with the same filament and bulb shape, operated at the same rated voltage and wattage.
Natural gas means natural gas as defined by the Federal Power Commission.
Off mode means the condition in which an energy using product—
(1) Is connected to a main power source; and
(2) Is not providing any stand-by or active mode function.
Oil means heating oil grade No. 2 as defined in American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) D396-71.
Organic light-emitting diode or OLED means a thin-film light-emitting device that typically consists of a series of organic layers between 2 electrical contacts (electrodes).
Other clothes washer means a class of clothes washer which is not an automatic or semi-automatic clothes washer.
Other cooking products means any class of cooking products other than the conventional range, conventional cooking top, conventional oven, microwave oven, and microwave/conventional range classes.
Outdoor furnace or boiler is a furnace or boiler normally intended for installation out-of-doors or in an unheated space (such as an attic or a crawl space).
Outdoor unit means a component of a split-system central air conditioner or heat pump that is designed to transfer heat between the refrigerant and the outdoor air, and which consists of an outdoor coil, compressor(s), an air moving device, and in addition for heat pumps, a heating mode expansion device, reversing valve, and defrost controls.
Packaged terminal air conditioner means a wall sleeve and a separate unencased combination of heating and cooling assemblies specified by the builder and intended for mounting through the wall. It includes a prime source of refrigeration, separable outdoor louvers, forced ventilation, and heating availability energy.
Packaged terminal heat pump means a packaged terminal air conditioner that utilizes reverse cycle refrigeration as its prime heat source and should have supplementary heating availability by builder's choice of energy.
Person includes any individual, corporation, company, association, firm, partnership, society, trust, joint venture or joint stock company, the government, and any agency of the United States or any State or political subdivision thereof.
Pin-based means (1) the base of a fluorescent lamp, that is not integrally ballasted and that has a plug-in lamp base, including multi-tube, multibend, spiral, and circline types, or (2) a socket that holds such a lamp.
Pool heater means an appliance designed for heating nonpotable water contained at atmospheric pressure, including heating water in swimming pools, spas, hot tubs and similar applications.
Portable electric heater means an electric heater which is intended to stand unsupported, and can be moved from place to place within a structure. It is connected to electric supply by means of a cord and plug, and transfers heat by radiation and/or convention (either natural or forced).
Primary heater means a heating device that is the principal source of heat for a structure and includes baseboard electric heaters, ceiling electric heaters, and wall electric heaters.
Private labeler means an owner of a brand or trademark on the label of a consumer product which bears a private label. A consumer product bears a private label if:
(1) Such product (or its container) is labeled with the brand or trademark of a person other than a manufacturer of such product;
(2) The person with whose brand or trademark such product (or container) is labeled has authorized or caused such product to be so labeled; and
(3) The brand or trademark of a manufacturer of such product does not appear on such label.
Propane means a hydrocarbon whose chemical composition is predominantly C3H8, whether recovered from natural gas or crude oil.
R20 incandescent reflector lamp means a reflector lamp that has a face diameter of approximately 2.5 inches, as shown in figure 1(R) on page 7 of ANSI C79.1-1994 (incorporated by reference; see §430.3).
R20 short lamp means a lamp that is an R20 incandescent reflector lamp that has a rated wattage of 100 watts; has a maximum overall length of 3 and 5/8, or 3.625, inches; and is designed, labeled, and marketed specifically for pool and spa applications.
Rated lifetime for general service incandescent lamps means the length of operating time of a sample of lamps (as defined in §429.27(a)(2)(iv) of this chapter) between first use and failure of 50 percent of the sample size in accordance with test procedures described in IESNA LM-49 (incorporated by reference; see §430.3), as determined in section 4.2 of Appendix R of this subpart. The operating time is based on the middle lamp operating time for an odd number of samples and the average operating time of the two middle lamps for an even number of samples.
Rated voltage with respect to incandescent lamps means:
(1) The design voltage if the design voltage is 115 V, 130 V or between 115V and 130 V:
(2) 115 V if the design voltage is less than 115 V and greater than or equal to 100 V and the lamp can operate at 115 V; and
(3) 130 V if the design voltage is greater than 130 V and less than or equal to 150 V and the lamp can operate at 130 V.
Rated wattage means:
(1) With respect to fluorescent lamps and general service fluorescent lamps:
(i) If the lamp is listed in ANSI C78.81 (incorporated by reference; see §430.3) or ANSI C78.901 (incorporated by reference; see §430.3), the rated wattage of a lamp determined by the lamp designation of Clause 11.1 of ANSI C78.81 or ANSI C78.901;
(ii) If the lamp is a residential straight-shaped lamp, and not listed in ANSI C78.81 (incorporated by reference; see §430.3), the wattage of a lamp when operated on a reference ballast for which the lamp is designed; or
(iii) If the lamp is neither listed in one of the ANSI standards referenced in (1)(i) of this definition, nor a residential straight-shaped lamp, the electrical power of a lamp when measured according to the test procedures outlined in appendix R to subpart B of this part.
(2) With respect to general service incandescent lamps and incandescent reflector lamps, the electrical power measured according to the test procedures outlined in appendix R to subpart B of this part.
Refrigerator means an electric refrigerator.
Refrigerator-freezer means an electric refrigerator-freezer.
Replacement ballast means a ballast that—
(1) Is designed for use to replace an existing fluorescent lamp ballast in a previously installed luminaire;
(2) Is marked “FOR REPLACEMENT USE ONLY”;
(3) Is shipped by the manufacturer in packages containing not more than 10 fluorescent lamp ballasts; and
(4) Has output leads that when fully extended are a total length that is less than the length of the lamp with which the ballast is intended to be operated.
Residential straight-shaped lamp means a low pressure mercury electric-discharge source in which a fluorescing coating transforms some of the ultraviolet energy generated by the mercury discharge into light, including a straight-shaped fluorescent lamp with medium bi-pin bases of nominal overall length of 48 inches and is either designed exclusively for residential applications; or designed primarily and marketed exclusively for residential applications.
(1) A lamp is designed exclusively for residential applications if it will not function for more than 100 hours with a commercial high-power-factor ballast.
(2) A lamp is designed primarily and marketed exclusively for residential applications if it:
(i) Is permanently and clearly marked as being for residential use only;
(ii) Has a life of 6,000 hours or less when used with a commercial high-power-factor ballast;
(iii) Is not labeled or represented as a replacement for a fluorescent lamp that is a covered product; and
(iv) Is marketed and distributed in a manner designed to minimize use of the lamp with commercial high-power-factor ballasts.
(3) A manufacturer may market and distribute a lamp in a manner designed to minimize use of the lamp with commercial high-power-factor ballasts by:
(i) Packaging and labeling the lamp in a manner that clearly indicates the lamp is for residential use only and includes appropriate instructions concerning proper and improper use; if the lamp is included in a catalog or price list that also includes commercial/industrial lamps, listing the lamp in a separate residential section accompanied by notes about proper use on the same page; and providing as part of any express warranty accompanying the lamp that improper use voids such warranty; or
(ii) Using other comparably effective measures to minimize use with commercial high-power-factor ballasts.
Room air conditioner means a consumer product, other than a “packaged terminal air conditioner,” which is powered by a single phase electric current and which is an encased assembly designed as a unit for mounting in a window or through the wall for the purpose of providing delivery of conditioned air to an enclosed space. It includes a prime source of refrigeration and may include a means for ventilating and heating.
Rough or vibration service incandescent reflector lamp means a reflector lamp: in which a C-11 (5 support), C-17 (8 support), or C-22 (16 support) filament is mounted (the number of support excludes lead wires); in which the filament configuration is as shown in Chapter 6 of the 1993 Illuminating Engineering Society of North America Lighting Handbook, 8th Edition (see 10 CFR 430.22); and that is designated and marketed specifically for rough or vibration service applications.
Rough service lamp means a lamp that—
(1) Has a minimum of 5 supports with filament configurations that are C-7A, C-11, C-17, and C-22 as listed in Figure 6-12 of the IESNA Lighting Handbook (incorporated by reference; see §430.3), or similar configurations where lead wires are not counted as supports; and
(2) Is designated and marketed specifically for ‘rough service’ applications, with
(i) The designation appearing on the lamp packaging; and
(ii) Marketing materials that identify the lamp as being for rough service.
S-video means a video display interface that transmits analog video over two channels: luma and chroma as defined by IEC 60933-5 Ed. 1.0 (incorporated by reference; see §430.3).
Secretary means the Secretary of the Department of Energy.
Security or life safety alarm or surveillance system means:
(1) Equipment designed and marketed to perform any of the following functions (on a continuous basis):
(i) Monitor, detect, record, or provide notification of intrusion or access to real property or physical assets or notification of threats to life safety.
(ii) Deter or control access to real property or physical assets, or prevent the unauthorized removal of physical assets.
(iii) Monitor, detect, record, or provide notification of fire, gas, smoke, flooding, or other physical threats to real property, physical assets, or life safety.
(2) This term does not include any product with a principal function other than life safety, security, or surveillance that:
(i) Is designed and marketed with a built-in alarm or theft-deterrent feature; or
(ii) Does not operate necessarily and continuously in active mode.
Semi-automatic clothes washer means a class of clothes washer that is the same as an automatic clothes washer except that user intervention is required to regulate the water temperature by adjusting the external water faucet valves.
Shatter-resistant lamp, shatter-proof lamp, or shatter-protected lamp means a lamp that—
(1) Has a coating or equivalent technology that is compliant with NSF/ANSI 51 (incorporated by reference; see §430.3) and is designed to contain the glass if the glass envelope of the lamp is broken; and
(2) Is designated and marketed for the intended application, with
(i) The designation on the lamp packaging; and
(ii) Marketing materials that identify the lamp as being shatter-resistant, shatter-proof, or shatter-protected.
Showerhead means a component or set of components distributed in commerce for attachment to a single supply fitting, for spraying water onto a bather, typically from an overhead position, excluding safety shower showerheads.
Small duct, high velocity system means a heating and cooling product that contains a blower and indoor coil combination that—
(1) Is designed for, and produces, at least 1.2 inches of external static pressure when operated at the certified air volume rate of 220-350 CFM per rated ton of cooling; and
(2) When applied in the field, uses high velocity room outlets generally greater than 1,000 fpm that have less than 6.0 square inches of free area.
Space constrained product means a central air conditioner or heat pump:
(1) That has rated cooling capacities no greater than 30,000 BTU/hr;
(2) That has an outdoor or indoor unit having at least two overall exterior dimensions or an overall displacement that:
(i) Is substantially smaller than those of other units that are:
(A) Currently usually installed in site-built single family homes; and
(B) Of a similar cooling, and, if a heat pump, heating capacity; and
(ii) If increased, would certainly result in a considerable increase in the usual cost of installation or would certainly result in a significant loss in the utility of the product to the consumer; and
(3) Of a product type that was available for purchase in the United States as of December 1, 2000.
Specialty application mercury vapor lamp ballast means a mercury vapor lamp ballast that—
(1) Is designed and marketed for operation of mercury vapor lamps used in quality inspection, industrial processing, or scientific use, including fluorescent microscopy and ultraviolet curing; and
(2) In the case of a specialty application mercury vapor lamp ballast, the label of which—
(i) Provides that the specialty application mercury vapor lamp ballast is ‘For specialty applications only, not for general illumination’; and
(ii) Specifies the specific applications for which the ballast is designed.
Standby mode means the condition in which an energy-using product—
(1) Is connected to a main power source; and
(2) Offers one or more of the following user-oriented or protective functions:
(i) To facilitate the activation or deactivation of other functions (including active mode) by remote switch (including remote control), internal sensor, or timer; or
(ii) Continuous functions, including information or status displays (including clocks) or sensor-based functions.
State means a State, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, or any territory or possession of the United States.
State regulation means a law or regulation of a State or political subdivision thereof.
Supplementary heater means a heating device that provides heat to a space in addition to that which is supplied by a primary heater. Supplementary heaters include portable electric heaters.
Surface unit means either a heating unit mounted in a cooking top, or a heating source and its associated heated area of the cooking top, on which vessels are placed for the cooking or heating of food.
Television set or TV means a product designed to produce dynamic video, contains an internal TV tuner encased within the product housing, and that is capable of receiving dynamic visual content from wired or wireless sources including but not limited to:
(1) Broadcast and similar services for terrestrial, cable, satellite, and/or broadband transmission of analog and/or digital signals; and/or
(2) Display-specific data connections, such as HDMI, Component video, S-video, Composite video; and/or
(3) Media storage devices such as a USB flash drive, memory card, or a DVD; and/or
(4) Network connections, usually using Internet Protocol, typically carried over Ethernet or Wi-Fi.
Tested combination means a multi-split system with multiple indoor coils having the following features:
(1) The basic model of a system used as a tested combination shall consist of one outdoor unit, with one or more compressors, that is matched with between 2 and 5 indoor units; for multi-split systems, each of these indoor units shall be designed for individual operation.
(2) The indoor units shall—
(i) Represent the highest sales model family, or another indoor model family if the highest sales model family does not provide sufficient capacity (see ii);
(ii) Together, have a nominal capacity that is between 95% and 105% of the nominal capacity of the outdoor unit;
(iii) Not, individually, have a capacity that is greater than 50% of the nominal capacity of the outdoor unit;
(iv) Operate at fan speeds that are consistent with the manufacturer's specifications; and
(v) All be subject to the same minimum external static pressure requirement (i.e., 0 inches of water column for non-ducted, see Table 2 in appendix M to subpart B of this part for ducted indoor units) while being configurable to produce the same static pressure at the exit of each outlet plenum when manifolded as per section 2.4.1 of appendix M.
Through-the-wall air conditioner and heat pump means a central air conditioner or heat pump that is designed to be installed totally or partially within a fixed-size opening in an exterior wall, and:
(1) Is manufactured prior to January 23, 2010;
(2) Is not weatherized;
(3) Is clearly and permanently marked for installation only through an exterior wall;
(4) Has a rated cooling capacity no greater than 30,000 Btu/hr;
(5) Exchanges all of its outdoor air across a single surface of the equipment cabinet; and
(6) Has a combined outdoor air exchange area of less than 800 square inches (split systems) or less than 1,210 square inches (single packaged systems) as measured on the surface described in paragraph (5) of this definition.
Torchiere means a portable electric lamp with a reflector bowl that directs light upward to give indirect illumination.
Unvented gas heater means an unvented, self-contained, free-standing, nonrecessed gas-burning appliance which furnishes warm air by gravity or fan circulation.
Unvented home heating equipment means a class of home heating equipment, not including furnaces, used for the purpose of furnishing heat to a space proximate to such heater directly from the heater and without duct connections and includes electric heaters and unvented gas and oil heaters.
Unvented oil heater means an unvented, self-contained, free-standing, nonrecessed oil-burning appliance which furnishes warm air by gravity or fan circulation.
Urinal means a plumbing fixture which receives only liquid body waste and, on demand, conveys the waste through a trap seal into a gravity drainage system, except such term does not include fixtures designed for installations in prisons.
Vented floor furnace means a self-contained vented heater suspended from the floor of the space being heated, taking air for combustion from outside this space. The vented floor furnace supplies heated air circulated by gravity or by a fan directly into the space to be heated through openings in the casing.
Vented hearth heater means a vented appliance which simulates a solid fuel fireplace and is designed to furnish warm air, with or without duct connections, to the space in which it is installed. The circulation of heated room air may be by gravity or mechanical means. A vented hearth heater may be freestanding, recessed, zero clearance, or a gas fireplace insert or stove. The following products are not subject to the energy conservation standards for vented hearth heaters:
(1) Vented gas log sets and
(2) Vented gas hearth products that meet all of the following four criteria:
(i) Certified to ANSI Z21.50 (incorporated by reference; see §430.3), but not to ANSI Z21.88 (incorporated by reference; see §430.3);
(ii) Sold without a thermostat and with a warranty provision expressly voiding all manufacturer warranties in the event the product is used with a thermostat;
(iii) Expressly and conspicuously identified on its rating plate and in all manufacturer's advertising and product literature as a “Decorative Product: Not for use as a Heating Appliance”; and
(iv) With respect to products sold after January 1, 2015, not equipped with a standing pilot light or other continuously-burning ignition source.
Vented home heating equipment or vented heater means a class of home heating equipment, not including furnaces, designed to furnish warmed air to the living space of a residence, directly from the device, without duct connections (except that boots not to exceed 10 inches beyond the casing may be permitted and except for vented hearth heaters, which may be with or without duct connections) and includes: vented wall furnace, vented floor furnace, vented room heater, and vented hearth heater.
Vented room heater means a self-contained, free standing, nonrecessed, vented heater for furnishing warmed air to the space in which it is installed. The vented room heater supplies heated air circulated by gravity or by a fan directly into the space to be heated through openings in the casing.
Vented wall furnace means a self-contained vented heater complete with grilles or the equivalent, designed for incorporation in, or permanent attachment to, a wall of a residence and furnishing heated air circulated by gravity or by a fan directly into the space to be heated through openings in the casing.
Vibration service lamp means a lamp that—
(1) Has filament configurations that are C-5, C-7A, or C-9, as listed in Figure 6-12 of the IESNA Lighting Handbook (incorporated by reference; see §430.3) or similar configurations;
(2) Has a maximum wattage of 60 watts;
(3) Is sold at retail in packages of 2 lamps or less; and
(4) Is designated and marketed specifically for vibration service or vibration-resistant applications, with—
(i) The designation appearing on the lamp packaging; and
(ii) Marketing materials that identify the lamp as being vibration service only.
Voltage range means a band of operating voltages as marked on an incandescent lamp, indicating that the lamp is designed to operate at any voltage within the band.
Wall electric heater means an electric heater (excluding baseboard electric heaters) which is intended to be recessed in or surface mounted on walls, which transfers heat by radiation and/or convection (either natural or forced) and which includes forced convectors, natural convectors, radiant heaters, high wall or valance heaters.
Water closet means a plumbing fixture that has a water-containing receptor which receives liquid and solid body waste, and upon actuation, conveys the waste through an exposed integral trap seal into a gravity drainage system, except such term does not include fixtures designed for installation in prisons.
Water heater means a product which utilizes oil, gas, or electricity to heat potable water for use outside the heater upon demand, including—
(1) Storage type units which heat and store water at a thermostatically controlled temperature, including gas storage water heaters with an input of 75,000 Btu per hour or less, oil storage water heaters with an input of 105,000 Btu per hour or less, and electric storage water heaters with an input of 12 kilowatts or less;
(2) Instantaneous type units which heat water but contain no more than one gallon of water per 4,000 Btu per hour of input, including gas instantaneous water heaters with an input of 200,000 Btu per hour or less, oil instantaneous water heaters with an input of 210,000 Btu per hour or less, and electric instantaneous water heaters with an input of 12 kilowatts or less; and
(3) Heat pump type units, with a maximum current rating of 24 amperes at a voltage no greater than 250 volts, which are products designed to transfer thermal energy from one temperature level to a higher temperature level for the purpose of heating water, including all ancillary equipment such as fans, storage tanks, pumps, or controls necessary for the device to perform its function.
Water use means the quantity of water flowing through a showerhead, faucet, water closet, or urinal at point of use, determined in accordance with test procedures under appendices S and T of subpart B of this part.
Weatherized warm air furnace or boiler means a furnace or boiler designed for installation outdoors, approved for resistance to wind, rain, and snow, and supplied with its own venting system.
[42 FR 27898, June 1, 1977]
Editorial Note: For Federal Register citations affecting §430.2, see the List of CFR Sections Affected, which appears in the Finding Aids section of the printed volume and at www.fdsys.gov.