Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
The Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (e-CFR) is a regularly updated, unofficial editorial compilation of CFR material and Federal Register amendments produced by the National Archives and Records Administration's Office of the Federal Register (OFR) and the Government Publishing Office.
Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules for the Code of Federal Regulations and the United States Code
Text | PDF
Find, review, and submit comments on Federal rules that are open for comment and published in the Federal Register using Regulations.gov.
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
Title 46: Shipping
Subpart D—Exceptions and Implementation
§530.13 Exceptions and exemptions.
§530.13 Exceptions and exemptions.
(a) Statutory exceptions. Service contracts for the movement of the following, as defined in section 3 of the Act (46 U.S.C. 40102), §530.3 or §520.2 of this chapter, are excepted by section 8(c) of the Act (46 U.S.C. 40502) from the requirements of that section, and are therefore not subject to the requirements of this part:
(1) Bulk cargo;
(2) Forest products;
(3) Recycled metal scrap;
(4) New assembled motor vehicles; and
(5) Waste paper or paper waste.
(b) Commission exemptions. Exemptions from the requirements of this part are governed by section 16 of the Act (46 U.S.C. 40103) and Rule 67 of the Commission's Rules of Practice and Procedure, §502.67 of this chapter. The following commodities and/or services are exempt from the requirements of this part:
(1) Mail in foreign commerce. Transportation of mail between the United States and foreign countries.
(2) Department of Defense cargo. Transportation of U.S. Department of Defense cargo moving in foreign commerce under terms and conditions negotiated and approved by the Military Transportation Management Command and published in a universal service contract. An exact copy of the universal service contract, including any amendments thereto, shall be filed with the Commission as soon as it becomes available.
(c) Inclusion of excepted or exempted matter. (1) The Commission will not accept for filing service contracts which exclusively concern the commodities or services listed in paragraph (a) or (b) of this section.
(2) Service contracts filed with the Commission may include the commodities or services listed in paragraph (a) or (b) of this section only if:
(i) There is a tariff of general applicability for the transportation, which contains a specific commodity rate for the commodity or service in question; or
(ii) The service contract itself sets forth a rate or charge which will be applied if the contract is canceled, as defined in §530.10(a)(3).
(d) Waiver. Upon filing a service contract pursuant to paragraph (c) of this section, the service contract shall be subject to the same requirements as those for service contracts generally.
[64 FR 23793, May 4, 1999, as amended at 74 FR 50724, Oct. 1, 2009]
(a) Generally. Performance under a service contract or amendment thereto may not begin before the day it is effective and filed with the Commission.
(b) Prohibition or suspension. When the filing parties receive notice that an initial or amended service contract has been prohibited under section 9(d) (46 U.S.C. 40704) or suspended under section 11 of the Act (46 U.S.C. 41301-41302, 41305-41307(a)):
(1) Further or continued implementation of the service contract is prohibited;
(2) All services performed under the contract shall be re-rated in accordance with the otherwise applicable tariff provisions for such services with notice to the shipper within five (5) days of the date of prohibition or suspension; and
(3) Detailed notice shall be given to the Commission under §530.9 within thirty (30) days of:
(i) The re-rating or other account adjustment resulting from prohibition or suspension under paragraph (b)(2) of this section; or
(ii) Final settlement of the account adjusted under §530.10.
(c) Agreements. If the prohibited or suspended service contract was that of an agreement with no common tariff, the re-rating shall be in accordance with the published tariff rates of the carrier which transported the cargo in effect at the time.
[64 FR 11206, Mar. 8, 1999, as amended at 74 FR 50724, Oct. 1, 2009]